Search McConkie Menu

Monday, July 18, 2011

Russian Cream




This is Andrea's delicious recipe.  She made this for Whitney's wedding shower (can't wait for my new sister-in-law to join the family!  Welcome Whitney!) and I had to make it a couple days later, I was craving it so much.  It almost tastes like crème brûlée.  Enjoy! (I know you will)

4 cups cream
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon gelatin (plain, non-flavored) or a vegetarian substitute (agar, kudzu or others)
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups sour cream




Important: If you want to make a double batch, you will have to make 2 batches instead of doubling the ingredients as it will not set up properly.


In a small pot, mix sugar and gelatin (or gelatin substitute), then add cream.  Heat over medium heat until melted and smooth, but not boiling.  Cool to room temperature.  Add 2 cups sour cream and 1 tablespoon vanilla.  Hand-whisk, stirring vigorously, until it turns to an ivory color and there are no white specs.  Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and put into the fridge until set.  I used individual ramekins and it worked perfectly.


To serve, top with fresh fruit and sprinkle with brown sugar.




4 comments:

  1. Delicious and amazing ...almost a creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this sooooo much....I told Marijke I want this for my birthday every year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! It's best if you let it chill overnight. Do you think it would work with a graham cracker crust?

    ReplyDelete